Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bangladesh - A Father/Son Adventure

To Bangladesh - A Father/Son Adventure

Mike & TimOne of my goals as a dad has been to have an international missions experience with each of my sons as they prepare to enter high school. I wanted the experience to be a life-marker; an opportunity to spend time with each of them individually in an environment that's completely foreign. Stretching our faith and living expectantly... (As if starting Noble Warriors wasn't enough of a faith stretch!)

Tim is fourteen and will be headed off to high school in September. Our summer schedule is already pretty crazy so I wasn't sure if something would work out for us, but just recently we made a commitment to join two other men on a trip to Bangladesh. Admittedly, I don't have a strong sense of calling to the Bangla people or even to that part of the world. (Bangladesh is just east of India.) My calling is to a God-sized faith adventure with my sons... And Timothy's up first.

Our mission isn't completely clear yet. We'll be working with a resident missionary to the Hindu people of Bangladesh. BangladeshWe do know that we'll have an opportunity to experience life and culture in an area of the world where Christianity is very much a minor religion. We'll experience incredible population density, extreme poverty and many other culture shocks.

Stacy and I continue to pray expectantly for the impact this adventure will have on Timothy... but I have to tell you that I've been surprised by the impact that the preparation process is having on me. I'm experiencing a growing excitement about this 'frontier' mission experience. I'm also amazed by the thoughts about my own life and faith that have been generated.
I'll share more about our preparation and the trip in the coming weeks. In the meantime, would you please pray that God would go before us, preparing the way for our journey and that He would work in us, preparing us for the experience?

One final thought... men I believe this will have a huge impact on both Tim and me as individuals and our father/son relationship. As this story unfolds, I hope you'll begin to consider what it might look like for you to participate in an international missions experience with your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment