Wednesday, June 23, 2010




It's wasn't a look of disgust, frustration or anger. Although I do get those looks from time to time. No, it was a look that warmed my heart and made me feel Ben Swimminggreat. Ben gave me the look when he noticed me at swim practice. He didn't say anything. He didn't run over and give me a hug. He saw me, his facial expression changed to a confident grin, and he went on about his business.

It really wasn't a big deal. No one else probably noticed. No other parents or kids cared that Mike Young was there. But Ben Young did! And he & I shared a moment. Twenty yards apart but a connection at the heart. I was there simply to watch and cheer. From time to time as the practice went on, he would look over to see... is Dad still here? Is Dad still watching? I'm sure there wereBen times when I didn't see him look at me as there were times when he didn't see me watching him. But when our eyes would touch, there was another moment.

Men, we all know the impact of a dad's presence, or lack thereof. I still remember looking up in the stands on Friday nights to see my Dad, wearing my varsity jacket, standing on the top row. His presence make a difference. My presence makes a difference to Tim, Zack, Ben and Hannah. I can't be there for every practice or competition but I want to be there when I can. It feels great to know that just being there so they can see me inspires confidence, courage, and strength.

Fathers Day TieSunday is Father's Day. Make sure you celebrate your Dad or another man whose presence in you life quickened your stride, strengthened your resolve and made you stand taller. Also, make sure you are seeking out opportunities to encourage your children or other youngsters - simply with your presence.

One final thought... Men, when we do this well, we help children catch a glimpse of our Heavenly Father. Consider Proverbs 15:3 "The eyes of the Lord are in every place keeping watch on the evil and the good".












No comments:

Post a Comment